Wednesday 26 November 2014

Haven't you always wanted a special Christmas handbag?

This is my first ever handbag.  Not only is it a first, but it's made for hubby's and my annual trip to Germany for the Christmas markets.  This year it's Munich :-)

I found the bag making site U-Handbag (www.u-handbag.com) and bought their "blank" Queen Bee kit.  It comes with everything you need to make a handbag except the external fabric, lining and glue.

The photo doesn't do her justice!  The felt snowflakes have Swarovski crystals and pearls on them.  The outside is a gorgeous tweed and she's lined with Liberty Tana lawn!  (OK, so the lining is a bit summery for the time of year, but who cares?)
I cut the snowflakes out using my Sizzix Bigshot and a Sizzlits die.  Because the cut outs are very delicate I used a double-sided iron-on interfacing (Bondaweb, I think) on the felt before I cut them out.  This meant that I could iron them on before adding the crystals and beads so it made life an awful lot easier :-)

I followed the kit instructions and it's not as scary as you might think!  After you cut everything out (decorate with felt and beads - my step) and start sewing together, it kind of falls into place and suddenly it's really obvious and you knew all your life how to make a handbag :-)

Materials used:
  • Queen Bee kit from U-Handbag.com
  • Harris Tweed from eBay Shop (Esplanade London)
  • Remnant of Liberty Tana Lawn for the lining
  • 100% wool felt from Michelle Good on Etsy
  • Snowflake die from Sizzix
  • Gutermann Textile Glue from U-Handbag
  • Swarovski crystals and pearls from Scatter Crystals

A note about the glue.  I've used it on everything - from felt to cotton.  It dries quickly by my standards and makes a really firm bond.  It could be a lot messier and smellier!  The gluey smell goes away after about 24 hours.  Some glues pong for ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment