Wednesday 26 November 2014

Die Cutting Felt

I'm always on the lookout for new crafting ideas.  I recently saw some lovely felt pincushions and thought I'd have me some pincushion action.  The idea is to use felt flowers, embroidery, etc to decorate...


Now, the problem is, I am rubbish at cutting out!  I don't have the patience.  Worse still, I have no hope of cutting out anything in felt!  How does one cut out a felt circle with a pair of scissors?  So my little pea-brain had a think...  Can one die-cut felt?

Indeed one can!

So I thought it might be nice to share my experiences with die cutting felt.  Here are the dies I've tried and the results.  I will come back to this from time to time and update.

  • Sizzix Framelits - result!
  • Sizzix Sizzlits - Hmmm.....  Mixed results there.  I have a butterfly that came with my Bigshot and that failed miserably.  Other, less detailed, designs seem to work.  I had one that I used for a very specific project and I got a much better result after picking out the sponge.  I don't know if I've wrecked it for future use though.
  • DoCrafts - Yep!  Some of these are quite detailed, so to get a better result with felt I suggest putting some lightweight iron-on interfacing onto the felt.
  • Sizzix Bigz - Fantabulous result!  You can even do three or four layers of felt at the same time!
  • Sizzix Originals - As with Bigz - you can do several layers at once.
Just for reference, I only use 100% wool felt.  It's the nice stuff on sale here: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MichelleGood.
I will be showing my felt designs on here so you can see for yourself....

If you have any other results to add to this, please do!  Let's share our felt-cutting experiences :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment